Politicians in every area of our lives can and should be evaluated against the highest standards of behavior, performance and character before we support them. Political leaders need to know that we have high expectations and will hold them accountable for what they say and do.
The tool that follows will give College Students and others a way to determine how well a Politician’s thinking and behavior matches up with the evaluator’s expectations. Students should read each statement carefully and make a strong effort to be objective.
Your response to each statement should be supported with multiple facts and examples. Cherry picking and including only single events and limited information that supports personal biases will make the results worthless. No evaluation tool works well when it is improperly used to support existing beliefs rather than reveal the truth.
How To Use This Evaluation Tool
a) Name of the Politician: ______________________________________
b) Think about this Politician’s words, actions and behavior during the past year or two. Read each statement in A – I below and assign a 1, 0 or -1.
1 = The Politician’s performance in this area is very good.
0 = The Politician’s performance in this area is acceptable.
-1 = The Politician’s performance in this area is very bad.
√ Note: When the statement is not applicable to the Politician being evaluated, you have no opinion on the issue or you just do not know, assign a ‘0.’
c) Before you get started, indicate your current thinking about the qualifications and performance of this Politician. Circleyour answer.
This Politician is: 1) Very Good 2) Acceptable 3) Poor 4) Very Bad
1. This Politician is respected and looked up to by most people. ____
2. This Politician has gained the respect of many other well-known and highly respected leaders, even those who sometimes disagree with him/her. ____
3. With other leaders within our country and around the world, this Politician is respectful and diplomatic. ____
4. This Politician is known for treating everyone with courtesy, dignity and respect. ____
5. This Politician clearly respects the truth, facts and ethical behavior. ____
Section Total – Respect _______
6. This Politician is always sincere, forthright and impartial. ____
7. This Politician admits mistakes, failures and set-backs. ____
8. This Politician does not deceive or mislead people. ____
9. This Politician requires complete honesty and transparency from those around him/her. ____
10. The statements and behavior of this Politician clearly show him/her to be honest in every situation. ____
Section Total – Honesty _______
C. ETHICAL BEHAVIOR
11. This Politician stands for and always demonstrates the highest levels of ethical behavior and character. ____
12. This Politician always rejects attempts by influential friends and self-interested outsiders to influence his/her behavior or decisions so they can benefit in some way. ____
13. This Politician never participates in any illegal or questionable behavior or activities that could lead to his/her personal gain. ____
14. This Politician would never hide, twist or cloud information or events to prevent the truth from coming out. ____
15. This Politician is known for always doing the right thing. ____
Section Total – Ethical Behavior _______
16. This Politician always delivers on and keeps his/her promises. ____
17. This Politician’s words/actions are consistent and can be trusted. ____
18. This Politician strives to make things clear and understandable. ____
19. This Politician is completely reliable. ____
20. This Politician will not unexpectedly change direction, leave us wondering what has happened or let us down. ____
Section Total – Trust _______
E. PERSONAL IMAGE
21. This Politician is always viewed by others in a positive way. ____
22. This Politician is classy and gracious. ____
23. This Politician has a stellar reputation. ____
24. People feel excited about working with this Politician. ____
25. This Politician is approachable, friendly, courteous and expresses genuine interest in things that affect or concern you. ____
Section Total – Personal Image _______
F. PERSONAL BEHAVIOR
26. This Politician does not use personal attacks, name calling, false statements and incorrect information to discredit those who oppose his/her goals, beliefs, statements or behavior. ____
27. This Politician seeks and appreciates honest feedback, is a good listener and listens with an open mind. ____
28. This Politician acts thoughtfully, responsibly and deliberately. ____
29. This Politician is good at building and strengthening relationships. ____
30. This Politician does not abuse or manipulate people and does not play them or use them. ____
Section Total – Personal Behavior _______
G. POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY
31. This Politician has a high regard for the Rule of Law. ____
32. This Politician wants to serve all of his/her constituents. ____
33. This Politician is willing to work with members of the other Political Party in order to build consensus and pass legislation that will solve problems faced by constituents. ____
34. This Politician keeps his/her campaign promises. ____
35. This Politician holds the Constitution in high regard and personally demonstrates the values and principles that make our Country great. ____
Section Total – Political Philosophy _______
H. JOB PERFORMANCE
36. This Politician has clear goals and plans that are well communicated so that everyone around him/her knows and understands where he/she wants to take our Country and can support that effort. ____
37. This Politician uses experts, research and reliable information to better understand the options and consequences before making decisions. ____
38. This Politician is always looking to the future and strongly supports the businesses, research, technologies, job training and jobs that will keep our country safe and prosperous. ____
39. This Politician demonstrates the ability to bring about consensus, solve problems and overcome obstacles in order to get things done. ____
40. This Politician effectively serves the best interests of constituents. ____
Section Total – Job Performance _______
I. POLITICAL BEHAVIOR
41. This Politician will protect our Country from all threats to our national security and any foreign interference in the democratic process. ____
42. This Politician will fight for middle/working class Americans and place their needs and welfare ahead of his/her own, ahead of his/her political party and will not favor multi-millionaires over middle class taxpayers. ____
43. This Politician will work diligently to increase the number of higher paying jobs that are available to middle/working class wage earners. ____
44. To combat efforts to influence the decisions and votes of this Politician, he/she will work to close loopholes and limit the amount of money that can be donated to or obtained/received by politicians or their campaigns from large corporations, lobbyists, special interests and other sources. ____
45. This Politician will stand up against anyone who obstructs, slows down or tries to divert the political and legal processes in our Country. ____
Section Total – Political Behavior _______
RESULTS: Double check your responses in A – I above to be certain that your answers were completely objective and not influenced by personal biases. Make any changes that are necessary. After you double check your answers, record the section totals below and circle your answers (Yes or No) to the following questions:
1. Respect (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the level of respect you require of a leader? Yes No
2. Honesty (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the level of honesty you require of a leader? Yes No
3. Ethical Behavior (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the level of ethical behavior you require of a leader? Yes No
4. Trust (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the level of trust you require of a leader? Yes No
5. Image (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the image you require of a leader? Yes No
6. Personal Behavior (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the personal behavior you require of a leader? Yes No
7. Political Philosophy (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the political philosophy you require of a leader? Yes No
8. Job Performance (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the job performance you require of a leader? Yes No
9. Political Behavior (Section Total ____ ) – Does this Politician demonstrate the political behavior you require of a leader? Yes No
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Grand Total(Combined Section Totals _____ ) – Based on the Grand Total, should you support this Politician in his/her current position or as he/she seeks higher office? See the chart below, then answer Yes or No.
Grand Total – Combined Section Totals for this Political Leader:
25 to 45 = You think this person is a Very Good politician
10 to 24 = You think this person is an Acceptable politician
1 to 9 = You think this person is a Weak politician
-1 to -9 = You think this person is a Poor politician
-10 to -45 = You think this person is a Very Bad politician
~ ~ ~ ~
Did this score’ Confirm’ or did it ‘Change’ your opinion of this Politician?
Circle one: 1) It Confirmed My Opinion 2) It Changed My Opinion
Document your reasons for Supporting or Not Supporting this Politician.
Selecting the most qualified, effective, respected and upstanding candidate for a Political office is critical to the success of our country. Whenever you have a say in the election process, a great responsibility is being placed on your shoulders. Take that responsibility seriously and endeavor to make an objective decision based on facts and information.
In the political arena, all of us should find our voice with regard to improving the quality of our political leaders. Test this tool by using it to evaluate the politicians that touch you and your family the most. It will help to reveal both the strengths and weaknesses of the politician.
You can also use this tool to compare candidates in upcoming political races and then use the results to make your choice.